All teas are made of Camellia sinensis, including green tea. The variation is a result of their different making process, with the ‘degree of fermenting’ playing a crucial part. Green tea is the only class of Chinese tea that is unfermented.
Following are some facts about green teas:
- It is the biggest class of Chinese teas, with more than 300 recorded
- It is believed to be the most original Chinese tea: picked and tried to preserve. Although many varieties have been produced since using different making skills.
- High quality green teas are not only fresh, but made of very young tender tip leaves.
- Highest level of natural anti-oxidant - about 1/3 of its dry weight
- The most extensively studied Chinese tea by recent health research. The interest is intensifying and research is continuing.
- Many health benefits of green tea drinking have been reported including being preventive of various life style related conditions such as cancer, cardiovascular diseases, diabetes and obesity.