For those who are new to green teas, buying the right one could be a bit of a challenge. The questions that I have been asked:
- Can I order some green tea please (reality: there are more than 300 Chinese green teas with very distinctive individual characters.)
- What is the best green tea?
- Which green tea has the highest level of anti-oxidants?
- Are all green teas bitter and grassy?
- Are all loose leaf tea green tea?
- Any the list keeps growing!
Green tea and its health benefit
Green tea is one of the very original teas and has been consumed in China for a long history. It is however relatively new to the west. The interest in green tea has been rapidly increasing in the last 20-30 years mainly due to the recent documentary of their numerous health benefits.
The health benefits of different green teas are similar, although the anti-oxidant level is believed to be associated with the quality grade of the tea more than the variety (different varieties of green teas are made of different sub-species of the same plant).
I have been advising our customers as follow:
- Never forget that green tea was discovered as an enjoyable beverage to enhance lifestyle first
- The health benefits are by-products
- If you can find a green tea that suites your taste and in-cooperate it into your lifestyle, the health benefits will come naturally.
Purchase green tea online
Tea drinking is a life time journey for many and it is worth while taking time to investigate and find a tea and a supplier that meets you needs and satisfy your taste buds.
They are many online suppliers offering loose leaf green teas today, claiming to be premium quality. The quality range is however very big. There are supplier source their seasonal products directly from the tea farmers in China, transport and store appropriately while the others (with limited knowledge about premium fresh teas) simply purchase their products from a second or even third hand tea merchant. For the later, the product could be of low quality at production, being stored inadequately for a long time and sold under the same tea name for a profit, for example all under the same name Dragon Well green tea. The differences are evident to an experienced tea drinker.
Green tea buying tips:
- The best green teas are the fresh ones (refreshing and aromatic, never bitter or rough)
- All loose teas are quality graded and the difference could be quite big (similar to premium wine)
- Do a thorough check of the site, if the supplier appears to have extensive firsthand knowledge about teas, the chances are you are likely to get some decent quality products.
- Start from small amount but different varieties. Pick the one that satisfy your taste buds, you can then order bigger quality.
- Try out some free samples if possible.
- Tea bags are never of high quality, mainly because the broken leaves are heavily oxidised (different from fermentation!) at the edge to produce the bitter taste and rough texture
More information about green teas and their quality grades at: Tea and Quality.
The founder and owner of Valley Green Tea
I grew up in the Fu-Jian Province – the tea country of China. Tea drinking has been part of our daily life for as long as I can remember.
While I was working as a public health researcher a few years ago, I read many research reports conducted over the last 30 years about the health benefits of green tea in fighting certain life style related challenges such as cancer, obesity, cardio-vascular and inflammatory diseases etc.
From my research, I realised there is a significant gap between what people consume (i.e. commercial tea bags) for assumed health benefits and the actual benefits that have been enjoyed by the Chinese for a long history from the premium loose leaf teas.
As well as being potentially beneficial to health, the premium loose teas (green tea being the biggest group) are most enjoyable beverages with a fascinating history, colourful culture and holistically dynamic in every aspect.
It is my passion to share, not only the products, but also the whole culture dynamics around the premium teas with the tea enthusiasts, here in Australia and around the world.
Valley Green Tea currently supplis a diverse range of premium loose teas to the tea drinking community that suit all tastes and all cultures and to pass on a deep understanding of the history and benefits of this wonder beverage.Website: https://www.valleygreentea.com.au